Concordia was founded by Lutheran German immigrants at a time when there was no
German congregation in Louisville, Kentucky. Arrangements were made for Rev. F.W.
Pohlmann to preach and lead worship services in Louisville on Sunday evenings. At that
time he was serving as pastor for St. John Lutheran Church in Lanesville, Indiana. The
first worship service in Louisville was held on February 3, 1878. About thirty people
attended and six services later, a two-paragraph constitution was written. The name
chosen for this new congregation was “The First German Evangelical Lutheran Church
in Louisville, Kentucky.” On November 29, 1878 the congregation issued a divine call to
Pastor Pohlmann. He accepted the call and was installed on the first Sunday in
Seven pastors and 138 years later Concordia Lutheran Church is located between the
Highlands and downtown Louisville on the corner of East Broadway and Barret Avenue.
The congregation has thrived and flourished at its current location. Concordia was the
source for researching the work of Ralph Adams Cram, the architect of Concordia’s
sanctuary and other significant church structures around the world. In 1944, Concordia
was again the subject of research. This time it was regarding the work of master carver
Les Jewell of London, England. Mr. Jewell, an associate of Herbert Read, did the
carving on Concordia’s altar, pulpit, reredos, traceries on the communion rail, spandrels
in the choir, organ, and chancel screens.
In 2002 Concordia completely renovated, remodeled, and expanded the parish hall. The
project included an elevator (Concordia has three floors), new classrooms and offices,
an upgraded fellowship hall and gathering area. God has abundantly blessed us for 138
years under His grace.